Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Brisbane

Wendy and I arrived on Sunday afternoon in Brisbane. We had an introduction to the Quilters and Embroiders store which is filled with fabrics and embellishments. Karen the owner then took us for a drive around the city and up to this wonderful view point over looking the city.
The first day of class I taught the Altered Texture class. I am always amazed at the results. Each student starts with a kit which is stitched ahead of time then we spend the whole day drawing in our journals and embellishing the block.
They experimented with couching, beading and embroidery stitches.
Some used rickracks and chenille yarns for stems as well as stitches to form flowers.
It was fun seeing what we could do by fussy cutting fabrics to form flowers.
We also used wonderful hand dyed velvets, sequins and beads.
As you can see each piece was a little unique.
They all seemed to get a good start to an embellishment piece, I hope they will continue to stitch on. The variations are endless and I always come away inspired and ready to experiment with more techniques myself.
Keep stitching
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment