Monday, December 7, 2009

Ali Strebel Designs Workshop

My last workshop for the year was for my good friend Alice in Dayton, Ohio. I taught my Altered Texture Class. I was amazed at the wonderful results. Many of my friends who attend our 'Workt by Hand' workshop were in the class.
We used many new fibers making unique flowers adding texture and dimension to each piece.
We also used many different stitches to add texture around the edges.
This covered button was a really fun idea for the center of a flower. Some also used antique fabrics to made a fun flower base.
Also different fabrics and stitches were used to embellish leaves. I love these variegated threads that change color when you stitch. They do the work for you!
Here is the bullion stitch and fly stitch using different threads.
I also love the layering of fabrics on this leaf to add dimension.
One of my favorite fabrics to applique with are our hand dyed silk velvets dyed by my sister Wendy. We have 38 colors on the website to choose from. www.suespargo.com. They add a luxurious texture when appliqued on wool.
Many of the students had fun making wonderful stems. Some used mini pom pom ribbons, wool with stitches over them, velvet rick rack and patterned ribbons.
I always get so excited to see what my students come up with. I get many new ideas to work into my own designs. I am so looking forward to starting new projects in 2010. I wish my fingers could stitch as quickly as my mind works!
We have had such a mild fall here in North East Ohio but I think this week things are about to change. They are predicting a large winter storm here later this week so I can't wait to curl up in my chair and stitch. This is my favorite thing to do!
Take care
Sue

3 comments:

  1. I would LOVE to take a class like this! I hook rugs and bags, also to quite a bit of knitting. This inspires me to try something new.
    Thanks for the detailed photos!

    Dulcy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great use of dimensional quilting and embellishments.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. HEY SUE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM MY BRAIN GOES SO FAST AND I THINK OF A HUNDRED IDEAS BUT MY HANDS DON'T WORK FAST ENOUGH OR WORK GETS IN THE WAY. MARILYN =O)

    ReplyDelete