Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Houston Quilt Market

I am just returning form a few days in Houston where I visited Quilt Market. Wendy my sister joined me and we shared a room with our friend Susan Day from Portland. It was great to spend time with both of them. The weather was wonderful and each day we left the convention center the trees and telephone wires were filled with black birds. It was a great sight.
We had many great meals down town. I loved this tree sculpture on the side of a building we passed many times. My Australian friend Sarah Fielke and her husband Damien where also at market. Sarah launched her new fabric line 'From Little Things' with Lecien. I loved the quilt she made to show case the line. We also had a wonderful meal with them on Sunday night.
As usual I love what the Japanese produce. Seven Islands is one of my favorite fabric companies. Their display as well as their fabrics are wonderful.
Wendy and I spent Monday afternoon wondering through the quilt exhibit. Here is a sneak preview of the quilts that caught my eye.
'Innocence' Hollis Chatelain from Hillsborough, North Carolina
'The Double Wedding Ring' by Keiko Goke of Miyagi, Japan
'The White Garden' by Akiko Kawata of Osaka, Japan
'Earth Trees, Earth Flowers' by Yoko Kosaka of Misato, Saitama-Ken, Japan
'Sparkling Waters' by Masae Utsunomiya of Kitasohma, Ibagaki-ken, Japan.
'The Wonder of Birds II' by Pamela Allen of Kingston, Ontario
'Grace' by Shin-hee Chin of McPherson, Kansas.
At the end of the show we were all very tired. It was good to walk the show instead of having a booth. I did not find much new and I felt the show was a little slow. I am sure we will be seeing some big changes in the quilting business in the future especially the fabrics.
I have one more teaching trip to prepare for this year then I will be home for a couple of months over the holidays.
Take care
Sue

14 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking and posting the quilt show pictures. I so wanted to go this year but you captured some of the quilts just perfectly (I love it when I can see how they are quilted).

    Judy B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quilts were unbelieveable..The work was outstanding and so intricate.. I know you are looking forward to getting home for a good rest..
    Maggey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the beautiful images! Fantastic work! I love the way some traditional techniques were used to make such contemporary quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. was great to see some of the show! thanks for sharing ...
    I'm loving doing some of your patterns lately! it's started a whole new love of hand stitching for me. Thanks so much for all the inspiration!
    and I'm thinking with all you do, you deserve a little break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Thanks for the beautiful photos of Houston Quilt Market!!!
    I love your work, are very lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you, Sue! Hope you have a relaxing end to the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue, I would like to hear what changes you see coming in the industry and with fabric lines / fabric companies. It's hard to gauge what's going on for those of us completely outside the business. Any insights appreciated ! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue - thanks so much for sharing your photos of the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful work and wonderful use of fabrics.
    I enjoy seeing photos from different designers who went to the show, everyone has their own tastes, so wonderful variety of inspiration.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou so much for sharing your photos. The quilts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The photo of the young boy quilt is beautiful. Then when you look in the highlighting and shading of the quilt there are more faces of young children. Stunning! Thanks for posting from your trip to Houston. I have never been and it would be an exciting and inspirational place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with others that it's fun to visit the show through your mind's eye. I love see the details. And just as Wendy said, what's the up-and-coming changes (besides the increases in fabric prices) you see coming.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thank you for sharing such a variety of photos with us. All so different and such wonderful details.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sue, I am glad to find your blog; I've been a fan of your color and style since I discovered you via the magazine/bird pillow article earlier this year! Lovely work; nice photos and I especially love your detail!

    ReplyDelete